Shop for Detroit Lions gear at Fanatics.com

Quick Thought on Shaun Hill’s Injury

I understand the NFL wants to protect quarterbacks and that’s why there are those ticky tack hands to the head calls, but where was the flag on the blatant low hit on Shaun Hill?  The NFL create a rule that defenders can’t dive low on a quarterback as they go to the ground, and that’s exactly what happened to Hill.  The defender was going to the ground and lunged at Hill’s legs and now the Lions are without their quarterback for the second time in six games.

I am sick of the one-sided calls in the NFL, if they want to protect quarterbacks that’s fine, but they need to actually protect them, not throw flags on a hand grazing a quarterback’s helmet and let others get cut down low.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Lions Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

7 Responses to “Quick Thought on Shaun Hill’s Injury”

1. Tiger says:

There is a rule in place, deemed the “Brady” rule, that says hits on QBs need to be above the thigh pads. But it just wasn’t called here.

The real problem, is that when you are a poor team like the lions, you do not get the benefit of calls in your favor. It’s just how professional sports work, unfortunately.

2. Rob says:

There were other examples of 1 sided officiating. Cliff Avil was flagged for unsportsman like conduct even though a couple of Giants were just as guilty and both were let of the hook. I also so a face mask that went uncalled on NY and a holding the allow for a long rushing play by NY. The NFL is shameful at calling games in a brutal sport just so that the outcome favors the team in the bigger market.

3. Eric says:

Rob – CJ was also molested on that throw from stanton. His arms were hit before the ball even got to him. On the play the lions were called for pass interference, I watched it over and over and saw NOTHING but good defense.

4. John Schofield says:

The bigger the market, the better the calls. Remember the team that played the Globe Trotters every night and lost them all? I think it was the Washington Senators. Well, we’re the Washington Senators of the NFL. After the Chicago game they must of huddled and told their people not to make it so obvious anymore. Call it as they come down the field! I’m getting sick of it and think it’s time to start calling for Goodell’s resignation! I’m ready to start a writing campaign to our congressional members calling for an investigation and his ouster. They all try to say there couldn’t be any game fixing because there wouldn’t be any gambling interests served by the Lions loosing. That’s BS! It’s not the gambling interests you fools! It’s Goodell and company, trying to get more revenue out of the bigger markets. He’s turning our sport into professional wrestling!

5. Cryinlion2 says:

It is appalling that this kind of disparity occurs. With all of the money the NFL is making, these “part time” sorry officials are deciding games and costing people their jobs. This is commonplace in basketball and has made the NBA unwatchable. It’s amazing Goodell doesn’t get called on the carpet by the owners that consistently get shafted. Disgraceful.

6. Aaron says:

I agree 100% and have been telling anyone who will listen. I asked where the flag was when it happened. The lions get flagged everytime if they hit a QB that low even if they are pushed or cut by the OL blocking them.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who noticed. I wonder why the lions don’t send these clips into the league. Like the Gaints really played SO clean that they only had 2 penalties!